In this review
The Kia Sportage is a mainstay in the UK. Having been in production for nearly 30 years, it has become one of Britain’s most popular SUVs, and for good reason. It has everything you want in an SUV – a modern, future-proof style that will still be a head-turner in years to come, practicality to withstand the high demands of a medium-sized family and just a little bit of luxury to make the buy all worth it.
However, there are a host of different models that should really be differentiated if we are to fully explain the Sportage’s capabilities.
Kia Sportage Models Explained
- The Kia Sportage 2 is a 5-door estate with a rigorous 1.6L engine, durable 6-speed manual gearbox and other additional features such as parking sensors.
- The Kia Sportage 3 enhances the comfort amenities, as you are able to heat the seats and steering wheel and use the cruise control to ease the long drive on the motorway.
- The Kia Sportage 4 has a responsive automatic gearbox, as well as a wireless charging port, panorama sunroof and several view monitors to improve your driving visibility
- The Kia Sportage GT Line is the more sporty edition, coming with a 1.6L CRDI hybrid engine with 134bhp and 48v. It also features a big infotainment display and a wonderful-feeling start/stop engine button.
- The Kia Sportage GT Line S adds a Mercedes-like touch of luxury to the GT Line. Inside, the seats are a high-class suede material with memory foam stuffing for maximum comfort.
The Utilities and Interior
The key selling point to families the Kia Sportage has is its perfect 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating. It’s a standard to meet, but the Sportage’s commitment to safety first will give mums and dads the security that their car will protect them and their family in any situation.
All the while, Kia has pushed the boat out on the little details that make the driver’s experience more memorable, including up to 19” alloy wheels that give the SUV an aesthetic boost, and electronically-folding door mirrors to remove the hassle of navigating tight parking spaces. For passengers, there’s a wealth of goodies to offer, such as the sun visor with illuminated vanity mirror, a 12v power socket with USB charging in the rear to top up on phone battery, and an all-in-one infotainment system with Bluetooth connectivity to appease even the most stringent rider. Simply put, whatever you put in front of the Kia Sportage, it can handle, and that applies to the driving experience.
The Engine and Drive
It’s hard to stand out in the current SUV market, as the Sportage has to compete with the Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson, Peugeot 3008, Nissan Qashqai, Citroen C5 Aircross, Seat Ateca, Skoda Karoq, Lexus UX, Volvo XC40, Toyota C-HR, Renault Kadjar, Ford Kuga, Volkswagen Tiguan, Audi Q3, BMW X1, and Mercedes GLA. Needless to say, Kia’s flagship sports utility vehicle cannot afford to get lost in the crowd. Happily, recent improvements have ensured that doesn’t happen. While the more popular version has a sturdy 134bhp hybrid engine, the 2022 revamp beefs up the power to a standout 226bhp and a comparatively huge 13.8kWh battery pack for an impressive EV-only range. This impressive value for money and future-forward thinking are just a few examples of what the Kia Sportage does well.
Compare Kia Sportage Lease Deals
Both the new and older editions have a standard towing capacity from 1,400kg to 2,200kg, but the feel of the car is a breeze even when it reaches its towing limit. When let loose, it rides well and takes corners with no trouble whatsoever. SUVs are not traditionally very blood-pumping drives, so the Sportage doesn’t reinvent the wheel. However, rougher roads are eaten up and spat out by the Kia without notice from the driver, marking an impressive level of ride comfort.
What’s the verdict on the Kia Sportage?
The Kia Sportage once again proves why it’s a fan favourite in the British Isles. Its range of models meets the demands of so many out there, and on top of that, another notch is the great fuel economy, reaching almost 50mpg on a regular drive.
If you’re after the best-priced new Kia Sportage deals, cars2buy is the ultimate marketplace. Our high-quality search functions will pinpoint the very best deals and leases for you, so you can get yourself a new Kia Sportage and see what everyone is talking about.